Wednesday, November 4, 2009

One, Two, Three, Four

Day Four results:


7503 / 50000 words. 15% done!


It's so hard to believe how fast I'm progressing.  I'm only on Chapter Three, but it's only been four days.  It's almost like I'm living the story in real time.  I think my schedule of writing 1,000 words per day in the summer is really paying off.  There's no way I would be going this fast without losing my sanity if I hadn't kept up my writing habit over break.

Certainly, it is taking pretty much all of my free time.  But so far, other than TV time and wasted time, nothing else seems to be suffering.  Today was just a crap day, mostly because of circumstances out of my control.  The added stress of the words kind of threw my emotions out of whack, and I almost started crying in the undergrad library.  It's unfortunate that sometimes, the non-writerly people in your life seem to take it for granted that you can move things around at their convenience whenever.  I can't.  NaNoWriMo is not necessarily a stressful thing in and of itself, but it's stressful in that I have to be a lot more economical with my time and planning out my day if I still want to see people.  Sometimes, I feel like I'm the one doing all the giving in give-and-take situations.  I just wish people could be a little more considerate of what is admittedly a hectic month for me.  But I don't like to dwell on unpleasant things.  Tomorrow is another day, as Scarlett, the queen of getting over shit days, likes to say. 

I have to say that writing is one of my favorite parts of the day now (even if I'm freaking out trying to get some time in).  Just the ability to let my mind go wherever without the pressure of having to make everything sound perfect is incredibly freeing.  I always end writing sessions in a good mood.

Last night, I came up with this new idea for an urban fantasy, and I'm completely in love with it.  It took a lot of self-control to shelve it, because it's so tempting.  I've been wanting to write an urban fantasy so badly.  Ah, that's okay.  It'll have its time.  Besides, Tommy* is giving me the evil eye.  He says he can't make two stories suck at the same time.  I agree, Tommy.  I agree.

In case you're wondering, Tommy basically looks like a mixture between the Weightwatchers Hunger Monster and Oscar the Grouch.  I bet my suckmonster is cuter than yours.

*my suckmonster, the little guy who takes the beautiful ideas I have in my head and suck-ifies them once they get on paper; we're friends.

4 comments:

  1. LOL, gotta love the idea of Tommy. I feel your pain. Congrats on your progress though. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least Tommy's not a little boy who lives in your mouth. "Redrum!"

    Okay, in all seriousness: Holy crap, you are cruising! Totally spanking my 62K. Think of this month as speed training for your planned urban fantasy. Just keep writing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your habit is paying off. It's great to have time to write everyday, but if you need a break, take one, girl! No crying... There's no crying in writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you're kicking NaNo's butt! Congrats!
    I know what you mean about "other demands." Make sure you give yourself a break sometimes. :)
    PS: Tommy sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete