Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Reward Yourself

As far as I know, almost all writers rely on bribes and rewards to get themselves to write. It's sort of a thing. Positive reinforcement and all that. People's rewards tend to fall along the lines of food or exercise or whatever. Sometimes, it's the only way we can get things done.

I also do this. Except I have a really weird reward for myself. My reward is letting myself watch an episode of HankGames. Which is essentially John Green playing video game soccer, providing commentary, and telling stories about his life. Each episode runs somewhere between 10-15 minutes.

I do not like watching soccer. I do not like video games of any kind, much less sports video games. As a matter of fact, I don't particularly like sports at all. I generally don't enjoy people talking about themselves on Youtube. Yet for some reason, HankGames is totally addicting. I mean, I love watching John Green play crappy video game soccer and rambling. I love seeing Bald John Green and Other John Green and Stone Cold Cteve With a C Austin and Ginger Rampage and Fat Lucas (the goalie) struggle against the computer. I don't know. It's weird. But I have learned so much about life, writing, and soccer from these videos.

Observe (YA Fiction and Love, Ep. 100):


Anyway, morals of the blog post. Rewards work, except for when they cause you to watch an hour of bad video game soccer on Youtube instead of writing. And for the love of God, please have more normal rewards for yourself than I do for myself.

Happy writing!

*Um, I realize my blog has recently transformed into a shrine for my literary crush John Green, and I apologize. Not to worry, by the time October rolls around, it will have reverted back to its normal state of being a shrine for my other literary crush Rick Riordan.

No comments:

Post a Comment