Thursday, January 2, 2014

Goals for The New Year

{Here a string of new posts: Books of 2013, then Goals for Next Year, and My Top Picks of 2013.}

This year, I'm looking to up my reading count and of course, write another novel!

Can't find the post early in 2013 but I think I hit my goal of 35 exactly. I'd like to read 45 novels this year. It should be pretty doable; that's still less than one book a week.

As for writing, I stick to my goal of finishing my current manuscript (hopefully) by the time I get back to school. Failing that, at least by the end of January. And then, I'd like to query agents again, plus I have a new idea for my fifth novel that I'm just crazy with excitement to write. The main character is a boy, which I haven't tried since novel #2. Haven't decided yet what the POV or tense will be. It'll be good for the idea to simmer for another few weeks. It's about a boy who has hyperthymesia, an affliction of people who have almost perfect autobiographical memories. In other words, they pretty much remember everything that's ever happened to them in great detail. I have always been obsessed with memory, but I've mostly only written and dealt with forgetting. But there is a lot of pain and wonder that comes with not being able to forget too.

Books that I'm looking forward to in the new year:

1. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (April Release)

THIS BOOK SOUNDS AWESOME. Also, Zevin is a bit hit-or-miss for me sometimes, but the only other adult book she's written that I've read, Margarettown, remains one of my favorite books of all time. I intend on rereading it soon. Ever since I found Fikry was slated for release in April 2014, I've been anxiously awaiting it. You know I have a thing for quirky, whimsical things.

2. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (already released)

Everyone has said marvelous things about this book, including John Green. Plus, interracial romance for YA. I love it! The cover looks beautiful too.

3. Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins (March Release)

I have been looking forward to this one for a LONG TIME, but due to personal reasons, the release date of this book has been pushed back multiple times. No matter. I'm willing to wait as long as it takes.

4. The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan (October Release)

Because DUH. Started reading Percy Jackson when I was 18, will finish the journey with Percy at 24. Can't wait.

5. Edit: Hollow City by Ransom Riggs (JANUARY RELEASE)

JUST FOUND OUT THAT THIS BOOK IS COMING OUT JANUARY 14. GO AND GET IT GUYS (or read Miss Peregrine's first). Goddamn, I love Ransom Riggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment