Thursday, April 2, 2009

Agents Vs. Authors

Apparently, someone is holding #agentfail type activity in response to the #queryfail that a few agents held on Twitter recently, as a supposedly "educational" tool.

I am not ready to query an agent yet (hopefully will be in a month or so, after some intensive editing).  Therefore, I have no horror agent stories.  But here is my opinion.

1)  I didn't particularly like #queryfail.  I just don't really like the idea of agents putting out queries that are admittedly bad in a public forum for people to laugh at/learn from.  I know the queries are anonymous, but it gives me the impression that agents are laughing at authors behind their backs.  Agents scare me already, so it's not a good feeling before I even get to query.  I get that I'm supposed to learn from these bad queries, and if I'm doing research, chances of me sending a fail query is unlikely, but that's not the point.  I don't like a cheap laugh off others' expense.  And these authors clearly didn't think their queries were bad.  It's just a tiny bit mean spirited.

2)  On that note, I don't think #agentfail is constructive either, even though I get that people want to rant about bad agent experiences. One thing I do agree with is that more agents should try to adopt the automated "I got your query" response.  It's really not all that hard to set one up, and it doesn't take any time once you do have it set up.  I know, I know.  If I don't like it, don't query that person.  I'm only saying it would be nice if more agents had that feature.

But.  I am not griping.  Bottom line: Don't diss the agents.  They work for you.  You may not agree with the system, but you work inside it anyway.  And you do it with a smile.

Yay for Nathan Bransford, who shares this opinion about these #___fail activities.  I definitely plan on querying him someday.  He seems like a nice, professional guy.

And now, it is time to get to the library and write my Euro essay (ugh) and hopefully, Chapter 1 of "Steam" (yay).

No comments:

Post a Comment