Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lovely Surprises

I don't think this is a great week in general.  But today, I finished "The Language of Dumplings," a good accomplishment, and I look forward to editing it next week before I send it off.  I started "Beauty and the Minotaur," and I have great hopes for its potential.  It has started off with a lot of promise, and I predict it will be a fun, if grueling project (since I don't have much time to dabble around and waste).  April 30 is rolling right around the corner!

Also, I am absolutely floored by the response to "Heritage."  I honestly thought I did a crap job on it, and the positive reviews gave me something to smile about.  I have written for fanfiction for several years, and generally, it's hard to get feedback on anything other than a novel, with continual updates.  So I am very happy right now.  I take this with a grain of salt, of course, because I realize as long as you have proper grammar and spelling, you're already ahead of 70% of the stuff out there.  But people said they were very moved, and I'm glad!  I think I'm terrible at writing emotion.  Sometimes, you need people to tell you they like your writing.  Even if it is for something as anonymous and generally shabby as fanfiction.

I'm considering taking a Creative Writing course at the community college over the summer.  I've been writing ever since I knew how to hold a pencil, but I've never gotten any formal training.  It could be fun.  And definitely useful.  I will see.  My summer is up in the air right now, and I hate that feeling.  I like plans.  I have to have plans!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats. I can relate to your thoughts regarding your own writing, as I have them from time to time myself. Since I've started being brave though and having others read my stuff, I've found out two things: I'm not as bad as I think I am, and I have alot to improve on. These might sound like they're incompatible, but they really aren't. Keep working it though, since it sounds like you have the skill and the drive.

    ReplyDelete