Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Book Rant: A Monster Calls

The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.

But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting. He's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming...

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth.


OH MY GOD THIS WAS AMAZING. I'm on a roll with my reading, which is probably a result of the fact that I am in a really difficult spot for writing right now. I think I've spent four hours working on maybe eight hundred words today. #strugglebus

I keep reading books intermittently between reading The Silmarillion and Bright Young Things. The Silmarillion I'm taking slow, because it's glorious, and I want to savor it slowly and only when I'm sitting in bed before I go to sleep, as a kind of grown-up, awesome bed time story. Bright Young Things is slow because ... well, I just don't really like it that much, but I'm already halfway through so I have to finish it.

Anyway, A Monster Calls has won a million well-deserved awards, and it came out two years ago, so again, I'm not sure I have much to add. Other than I wholeheartedly agree with all the hype. The book starts out a little simplistic for my tastes, but quickly blooms into an incredible, modern parable about grief and childhood and being honest with yourself. It is a "kids book" in the way that Coraline is a kids book -- which is to say, it is better the older you are when you read it. Coraline, for example, was creepy when I was little, and now it is full-blown terrifying.

This book will have you feeling all the feels. It is PERFECTLY crafted. Just an amazing work of art. Everything ties together like a miracle. And when I finished, I immediately downloaded another Patrick Ness book onto my Kindle.

Okay, back to writing now. Urgggggh.

No comments:

Post a Comment