Thursday, January 9, 2014

My Happy Jar & Other Delightful Finds

I saw this awesome idea on Maureen Johnson's tumblr that I'm adopting for the new year. A jar of happy! The basic premise:

“Start on January 1st with an empty jar. Throughout the year write the good things that happened to you on little pieces of paper. On December 31st, open the jar and read all the amazing things that happened to you that year.”

I've got an adorable little jam jar that I just put a nice gold ribbon on to jazz it up, and I've put in two notes already. I'm so looking forward to a year of great adventures and accomplishments. I think I'm going to do one note for every week of the year.

You should try it too!

Second cool idea, also from Maureen's tumblr (I stalk it, whatever). Don't Break the Chain calendars! Where you pick an activity and cross out every day on the calendar that you do it. It mentally forces you to do that activity for as long as possible because you don't want to break the chain once you've kept it going for all those days of x-es. Yeah. Pretty self explanatory. But it tricks your mind, and that's cool. It's interactive! Plus, it comes in different colors.

AND FINALLY: coffitivity. You can be in a coffee shop ALL DAY LONG. Try it. Try it. Try it. I can't write without it now. It's the best. "Morning Murmur" is my white noise of choice. Although I suspect that all of the sounds are actually the same, except "Lunchtime Lounge" has more plates clanging (FOR EATING??) and "University Undertones"* has some random sounds of hardcover books being slapped on tables if you want to feel more like you're in an appropriately pretentious coffee shop (BECAUSE BOOKS ARE SMART. AND STUFF).

*Con: "University Undertones" also seems to have more sounds of people scraping chairs out as loudly as possible (because college students are assholes?? or because they don't know how to pull out chairs properly? unclear).

No comments:

Post a Comment