Thursday, February 12, 2009

Adding to the Clamor

I know that everybody has already gone over the whole Stephen King vs. Stephenie Meyer feud.  But I just saw a published author say there was nothing wrong with what Mr. King said.  I have to disagree. Aside from the fact that his comments were downright rude for a civilized human being, I also don't think it's responsible or correct to say that Stephenie Meyer is a bad writer.  She isn't.  She isn't a literary genius, nor is her style the greatest.  But that woman sure can tell a story.  

I realize that Stephen King is a very talented author.  I've never read his stuff (not a fan of horror), but I can see for myself that he is iconic.  Surely, he knows a good writer when he sees one.  As far as I'm concerned, if an author can sell millions of copies of her books, she's good.  Something about her writing makes people want to read it.  That makes her good.  Most authors (including myself) would rather sell a bunch of books than be praised as a gifted writer.  The readers say it all.  Saying that Stephenie is a bad writer is insulting half of America's taste in books.  And I don't think that's a wise thing for an author to do.  With all due respect to Stephen King, he needs to back off.  He's not the intended audience for Twilight, and just because a book doesn't appeal to him, doesn't mean it isn't appealing.  

Let's check Stephenie's sales shall we?  I think that says it all.

Happiness is mine.  Chapter 9 is finally done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment